2013년 3월 15일 금요일

How I was Caught


          

 How I was Caught



           My lung stopped. 

           I was standing on the tip of a cliff edge, struck out of breath by the mightiness of a gargantuan basin with towering monuments forged by nature: the Grand Canyon. I was ten years old, traveling around the States with my parents and older sister. I was a little boy, and I was caught by rocks. The simple vastness emptied everything inside me: thoughts, fear, awe, beauty, blood, whatever you say. Never in my life, even until now, have I experienced a force greater.

           My family and I were on a trip to the west half of the States. We didn’t follow a tour company; all of us disliked the restraints that accompanied group tour. We encountered several interesting sights, like remnants of Pueblo houses. But I soon became tired of the long trip. One of the last stops in the journey was the Grand Canyon. On our way, father handed out pictures of the Grand Canyon to me and my sister. Pretty. Awesome. I thought. The colorful grooves on the surface of the rock towers and the red river that seemed to gently flow in the picture caught my eyes. Father stopped the car and we dragged our bodies out of the car. We were on a rocky road with trees on the sideways. We followed the path for a bit. After swerving around a corner, we found empty air greeting us at the end of the path, about 50 meters ahead of us. The road simple stopped and all we could see was whiteness, blemished with few blobs of cloud. We walked a little more.

           Suddenly, so abruptly that it happened in a matter of three steps, the Grand Canyon unrolled itself, pouring into eyes, body, and soul, like a tsunami. That moment when nature finally revealed its existence to me, my feet were immobilized by a rope stronger than that made out of money, fear, excitement, or even love. After a few minutes, my head cleared out and mixed feelings of awe, fear, and beauty materialized and mingled.

           That night, I wondered whether I would feel the same if I were to meet God. I was overwhelmed by the realization that I, a person that had been the center of everything, was nothing. In this vast world, I was nothing more than an ant among millions of others walking by a human foot. Of course, this single experience didn’t bring huge changes to my character. But it certainly allowed a room inside my brain to roll around with the idea of something not me. So far, it had been so busy operating with my feelings, my interests, and my future.

           I wasn’t into God. I wasn’t into Mother Nature. It was more like a shock to realize that such greatness existed, and had always existed regardless of who I am. Some things were simply out of my reach. Some things I simply had to watch.

           That moment when my eyes opened to the world, I was caught. 

댓글 1개:

  1. First Draft Comments:

    Once in a while, I read an essay that I have very little to say about in terms of “what can be improved.” The writing you put forth in this narrative is vivid, dynamic, and highly readable from start to finish. This is college essay material, and UofC would be impressed with your unique interpretation of being “caught.” How you were caught is not exceptionally clear, and that is not a bad thing at all. It is poetic and has subtext. BUT you may wish to play with this further in a second draft. Did God catch you off guard, and reveal the true beauty of his majesty in a moment of unexpected epiphany? One thing I kind of wondered about – the first two sentences. Infinitesimal – a “word we use to describe ants.” Do we really use it to describe ants? We can, and maybe some of us do, but it is hardly the “first word that comes to mind” when we think of ants. Industrious is. You may wish to tinker or soften the claim made in that opening statement. As well, what is the connection with ants? You felt like one very suddenly in the shadow of God’s amazing creation. Strengthen the ant analogy. Your first draft is wonderful, but you can have more fun in an more advanced second draft. As well, three paragraph essays look a bit “off” sometimes. You may wish to divide the second one or add another. You are a very skilled writer.

    ___________


    Second Draft Comments:

    As I said before, there wasn't much you could improve, as I basically feel I am "right there with you" as you suddenly confront the immediate vastness of nature's glory. Is there a better example than the Grand Canyon? Maybe not. You do a great job of making that clear.

    I like that you got rid of the misleading ant analogy, and this draft has some nice extra touches that help it. It's not perfect, but is very good and fairly clean. Simple and short at 503 words, it feels "just right."

    Excellent use of the picture! It would be a shame not to use it. However, it is too big for the blog space you have. You can tinker with the size so it doesn't look so awkward. Professionalism and meticulousness are things I encourage all students to approach with the blogs.

    Good stuff.

    답글삭제

Thanks for commenting!!